This bag looks like a child’s drawing of a house – a tall rectangle with a triangular top.
It started out as a long, narrow strip of woven cloth. I wove this to test a thicker warp (vertical threads) and thinner weft (horizontal threads). When it worked, I put the strip away, not knowing what to do with it at the time.
I pulled it out again when I decided to use cloth I’d already woven to make bags for Angel Days (see previous post). But how do you go from a long, narrow strip to a bag about 6″ wide and 10″ tall? Without extreme sewing that is… 😮
Enter Noreen Crone-Findlay, a wonderful weaver who is aware that she can create anything she imagines! Noreen developed a mitered loop technique that was perfect for this project.
Basically, it works like this:
1. Weave a long, narrow strip of cloth. (You’ll have dimensions if you know what it will be in the end 🙂 )
2. Tie off the weaving to keep it together, and trim fringe close to knots.
3. Sew the ends of the strip together to form a loop.
4. Lay the loop on a flat surface, and fold it outward. It will be twice as wide and half as long as the original strip, with a point at each end. (This is not as hard as it sounds, really!)
5. Sew the center seam and the top and bottom seams, securing the pointed ends. Press with hot iron.
Noreen stops here, since she created a scarf with this technique. But I continued by folding the new shape – this pointed-end fabric – in half, and sewing the side seams.
The completed bag is twice the width and 1/4 the length of the original strip – remember, that “useless test strip”?
The Shapeshifter Bag, and a patterned shawl I didn’t get a picture of before someone joyfully claimed it, are my favorite projects so far.
No matter what shape your life is in, you can create a better shape starting now! Decide to transform the past into a beautiful and useful future through your conscious thoughts, prayers, emotions, reactions, and awareness and acknowledgement of your feelings.
You can do this, because your Spirit is the One who creates all things and continues to live eternally through each one!